Before the middle of the nineteenth century only the indigenous
system of education existed in the Jind District. The indigenous
schools were of different types e.g. pathsala dharamsala,
chatsalas and maktabs. Special religious instruction was given
in pathasalas., dharamsala where pupils where mainly brahman
boys. In chatsalas padhas (Teacher) taught Mahajan boys to read
and write lande and to learn accountiong. The maktabs were the
person or Arabic school & were of two kind, the one where only
the kuran was learnt and the other where Arbic was taught. The
method in these indigenous schools were crude and pupils were
subjected to monotonous repetitive oral drill and loud
recitation for hours.
serious efforts were made by the princely state authorities till
the close of 19th century when a few upper primary
and vernacular middle schools were opened at Jind, Safidon &
Narwana. These schools were later remodelled on Punjab
educational system but there was hardly any progress. In
1950-51 there were just seven high Schools, 14 Middle Schools
and 64 Primary Schools. Before Independence, education of girls
remained neglected and was also looked upon with disfavour.
Whatever little, the girls were taught was confined to religious
instruction. In 1950-51 , there was only one high school for
girls at Jind and 3 Primary Schools for girls, 2 at Jind and one
at Narwana. Things started changing there after & more attention
was paid to education & 1955-56, there were 11 high schools (10
boys & 1 girls), 23 middle schools (20 boys & 3 girls) & 191
Primary schools (179 boys & 12 girls). However, there was no
college in the Distt. The first college in the distt was opened
at Jind in 1960 and another at Narwana in 1966-67. On the
formation of Haryana there were two colleges, 26 High schools,
42 Middle schools and 206 Primary schools in the Distt. The
progress of education was faster after the formation of Haryana
& at present i.e. 1999-2000, 6 Colleges, 41 Senior Secondary
Schools, 136 High Schools 74 Middle Schools & 464 Primary
Schools are running in the Distt. Of these 10 Senior Secodary
Schools, 22 High Schools & 20 Middle Schools, 138 Primary
Schools are for girls. The girls are also allowed in boys
the re-organised set up which came into force on May 8,1963, the
District Education Officer was made responsible for the
administration of all kinds of primary, middle, high & higher
secondary schools for boys & girls. The District Education
Officer, Jind is assisted by one Deputy Education Officer (if
the District Education Officer is a male the Deputy Education
officer, has to be female, 3 Sub Divisional Education Officers,
7 Block Education Officers, 1 Assistant Education Officer for
Physical Education Officer, 1 Assistant counsellor for
vocational guidance. In March 1989 District Primary Education
Officer was established in the district as the controller of
primary schools in the district.
After 1966 the Government took initiative to
provide education to the little children at the Pre-Primary
stage. A Pre-Primary school is run at Narwana by the Govt. In
the rural areas, the Central Social Welfare Board & Community
Development Department run 15 Bal Wadis and 806 Anganwadis
centers which look after the little children.
There are three voluntary institutions namely Bal Bhawan at
Jind, Bal Bhawan at Safidon, Bal Bhawan at Narwana. They provide
recreational educational & developmental facilities to the
children through modern methods i.e. play way, learning by doing
& Montessary methods. All these institutions are aided
financially by the Govt.
The course of
primary education covering a period of 5 years was made
compulsory on April 1961. Primary schools are co-educational &
teachers are provided at the pupil teacher ratio of 49:1. In
1999-2000, there are 465 primary schools and these are almost
evenly distributed all over the distt.
Middle schools consist of classes VI to VIII. The pupil teacher
ratio of 40:1 has been adopted for this stage and education is
free in all Govt. schools. In 1999-2000 there are 74 middle
schools in the District.
medium of instruction is Hindi. Hindi is taught as the first
compulsory language and as medium of instruction from class Ist.
English is taught from 6th class as 2nd
compulsory language from 6th class. Certain safe
guards have also been provided for linguistic minorities. The
provision for teaching of Urdu/Punjabi as an additional subject
(in addition to Hindi) from the Ist primary class is made if
there are `10 students in a class or 40 in primary schools or
primary department of a middle/high/senior secondary schools,
desirous of studying this language. But the medium of
instruction & the first language even for these students remains
Hindi. Those schools which had Punjabi as medium of instructions
at the time of formation of Haryana were allowed to continue
with the Punjabi medium.
of starting senior secondary schools with diversified elective
groups (humanity, science, commerce, agriculture, fine Arts,
Home science and technical) was adopted in the year 1957 . Many
high schools are being converted into the senior secondary
pattern. At present 41 senior secondary schools are running in
encourage the education of boys and girls upto 8th
class education is free for all boys students and for the girl
students education is free upto the 12th class. For
boys who belong to poor family half fee concession is allowed
upto 12th class.
student belonging to the scheduled caste and other backward
classes who are studying in 6th to 8th
classes, a stipend at the rate of Rs. 15/- P.M. is paid to all
students and who are studying in 9th and 10th
classes are paid stipend @Rs. 40/- and the students who are
studying in 11th & 12th classes are paid @Rs.
60/- P.M. stipend under the pre-matric scheme is awarded to the
students (from classes 6-12) whose parents engaged in
primary schools @Rs.10/-per students P.A. is given to the
scheduled caste and weaker section students for stationery and
Rs.10/-to the girls students on the basis of 70% attendance.
Free uniform to the Harijan girl students is also provided up 12th
1999-2000, there are 6991 boys & 2286 girls in senior secondary
schools, 10176 Boys and 5841 girls in the High schools, 20615
boys and 15476 girls in middle schools and 59100 boys and 56961
girls are studying in primary schools.
There are six colleges in the Distt. 3 run by
Govt, and 3 run by privately-managed bodies.
Govt. College Jind:-
college came into existence in 1960 with the name public
college, “Jind” as a result o f the untiring efforts and long
cherished desire of the people of this area. In 1961, it was
taken over by the Govt. and came to be known as Govt. College,
The college was
shifted to a new spacious building on Jind Gohana road in
January 1971. It has vast playground for various sports.
affiliated to Kurukshetra university, Kurukshetra for (
Humanities, Science and Commerce) for B.A./B.Sc./B.Com &
M.A.(Hindi, English, Economics) and M.Com. There are 3465
students (2885 boys and 580 girls) on its roll in the year
1999-2000. The strength of teaching staff is 99 including 27
women. It has a library having 61865 books and subscribes to 40
periodicals and journals
Chhotu Ram Kisan
It was started
by the Kisan Education Society, Jind, in 1972. It is situated in
the west of the city by the side of western Yamuna (Jamuna)
canal (Hansi Branch).
college is affiliated to Board of School Education Haryana
Bhiwani for 10+1 and 10+2 classes and is affiliated to
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra for degree classes. It has a
library having 21125 books and subscribes to 40 periodicals &
There are 1554 students including 33 girls in its roll in
1999-2000. The strength of teaching staff is 38.
Mahavidalya Jind :-
The institution was started in 1971 and is
situated in the heart of the city. It is affiliated to the Board
of schools Education Bhiwani for the classes 10+1 and 10+2 and
is affiliated to Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra for degree
classes. There are 1532 students in its roll in the year
1999-2000. It has a library having 32754 books and subscribes to
34 periodicals and journals. The strength of the teaching staff
Kamla Memorial Govt.
College Narwana :-
This college was established in 1966, and is
situated on Jind-Patiala road. It was taken over by the Govt. in
the year 1979-80. It is affiliated to Kurukshetra University,
Kurukshetra for degree classes. The college has 1570 students in
its roll in the year 1999-2000. The strength of and subscribes
to 34 journals and periodicals.
Dharam Mahila Mahavidalya Narwana :-
This college was started in Sept. 1967. The
college is now housed in its own spacious building situated on
the court road. It is affiliated to Kurukshetra university
Kurukshetra for degree classes. It has library with 21738 books.
extensive playground for volley ball, badminton, hockey and
This college was started in July, 1976. It is
situated on the main Safidon-Jind road. This college is
affiliated to Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra for degree
classes. There are 998 students in its roll including 259 girl
students. It has a library witih 17267 books and 21 journals.
The strength of teaching staff is 46 including 12 females.
Inspite of the
rapid strides in the field of science and technology the
district is without a medical college, and law college. Only one
Engineering college is in the district. However, there are four
teacher’s training centers in district.
Jind Engineering. College
At present two Industrial institutions are
running in the district and 16 vocational educational
institutions are in the district. These institutions ensure a
steady flow of skilled workers in different engineering and
non-engineering trades. The period of training ranges from one
year to two years for different trades. The successful trainees
are awarded the National Trade certificates of all India Council
of Vocational Training, New Delhi. Incentives are provided by
way of award of stipend of Rs. 45 per month per student on
poverty –cum- merit basis and Rs 75/- to the students belonging
to scheduled castes. The ex-servicemen and their dependents are
also awarded stipend for training. The medical aid, workshop
clothes and hostel accommodation are provided free of cost to
Independence, little attention was paid to adult education. In
1954, however, government became conscious of this social need
and opened some social education centres in the villages.
centres are opened in the villages at the request of the
panchayats which arranged for the accommodation. The efficient
running of the social education centres in the district is
looked after by a Supervisor appointed by the office of the
District Education Officer, Jind.
is arranged that the men folk receive free education from 6 P.m.
to 11 P.m. and women between 10 a.m, to 3 p.m. so that there is
little interference in the routine of village life. Vocational
knowledge is also imparted to the adults in order to increase
the earning capacity of the village.
There are six
institutions in the district which prepare students for
examination in courses of Sanskrit studies. The datails of each
institution are discussed below :-
Shri Lajja Ram Sanskrit pathshala, Pandu Pindarn
Established in 1968 the institution is affiliated
to the Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra for Visharad and
Shastri. In 1999-2000, there are 150 students on roll. The
strength of the teachers is nine.
institution has a small library. Free boarding and lodging is
provided to the students.
Shri Som Nath Sanskrit Mahavidyala Jind
Institution was started in 1970-71. It is affiliated to the
Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra for Visharad and Shastri. In
1999-2000, there are 209 students in its roll and has only six
teachers. It has a small library.
Sanskrit Mahavidyala, Ram Rai :-
The Institution was established in 1963 and is
affiliated to the Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra for
Visharad and Shastri. In 1999-2000, there are 150 students in
its roll and has eight teachers. The institution has a small
library. Free boarding is provided to the students.
Shri Vidya Sharm Pracharak Sanskrit Hindi
Mahavidyala Julana :-
institution was started in 1952 and is affiliated to the
Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra for Visharad and Shastri. In
1999-2000, there are 126 students in its roll. There are five
teachers in its strength. The institution has a small library,
playground and a swimming tank.
Kanya Gurukul Vidyala, Shadipur, Julana
institution was started in 1960 as a primary school. In
1999-2000 426 Girl students are studying in this institution.
Total Number of teaching staff is 16 including four male
members. The institution has a small library with 816 books and
Kanya Gurukul, Ganda
institution was established in year 1984. This institution is
only for girl students. In the 1999-2000 strength of the
students is 219 and strength of the teaching staff is 17. There
is a small library with 2112 books.
National cadet crops (N.C.C.) was introduced in
the educational programme in 1948 to develop the qualities of
leadership, unity and discipline. Later in July, 1963, after the
Chinese aggression, it was made compulsory for all
under-graduate students except handicapped at the collage level.
The N.C.C. was no longer compulsory after 1968 when two other
programmes, i.e. N.S.S. and Sports were introduced as
alternatives. Training in N.C.C. is imparted regularly during
academic sessions and through out door camps.
The headquarters of the 15 Haryana
battalion, located at Karnal, were shifted to Jind in 1974 and
came under the N.C.C. group Headquarters, Rohtak in may 1975.
The following educational institution
in the district have senior and junior divisions which fall
within the jurisdiction of the battalion for the N.C.C.
1. S.D. Sr. Sec.School, Jind. 1. Govt.
2. Govt. Collage, Jind. 2.
3. C.R.K. Collage, Jind. 3.
4. Govt. Collage, Narwana 4.
5. I.T.I. Narwana. 5. S.D.
High School, Jind.
6. Jat High School, Jind.
7. Navodiya Vidhyalaya Khunga Kothi.
8. S.D. Sr. Sec. School, Narwana.
9. Arya Sr. Sec. School, Narwana.